e-Directory provides a cross-platform for developing, accessing, securing and managing network. It can be scaled to accommodate very large network environments, including the Internet. eDirectory can be used to manage and store millions of objects seamlessly. It also contains all the resources for a whole network
When users, services or applications request access to network services or resources, eDirectory uses data kept in a network-wide Directory to satisfy the requests. It is not necessary for the users to know the physical locations of the resources in which they are interested. All they need are the unique Directory names that reference the resources. All the servers on a network connect to provide the resources the users want.
To maintain security, the users must first provide relevant credentials to have access to the resources. eDirectory protects confidential data through the use of cryptography services. When a user provides the required credentials and makes a request, the service responds by sending a randomly generated number that is used for the ongoing transaction only.
Key Benefits of eDirectory
There are many great advantages to using eDirectory. The following are some of its main benefits.
- It provides a standardized method of accessing, viewing and managing network resources, services and information. It also provides a global database for doing these things from a central location.
- eDirectory users have the opportunity to organize their resources logically irrespective of the way the network is laid out or the physical characteristics of the resources.
- It allows for dynamic mapping of objects and the physical resources that they refer to.
- eDirectory is ahead of the competition as far as security, reliability and scalability of enterprise networks is concerned.
- The centralized management of and access to all network resources leads to lower administration and management costs. The costs associated with data synchronization and connectivity over wide area networks are also reduced.
- Users can implement eDirectory over a wide variety of operating system platforms.
- Easy management of database indexes through the use of the Index Manager tool.
- Simple migration of data from one server to another by using the Import/Export Wizard.
- Merging of different directory trees or grafting of one directory tree onto another using the Merge utility.
- The ability to monitor all servers and diagnose any problems from any standard Web browser with the help of the iMonitor function.
- The ability to manage eDirectory objects, users, partitions, replicas and schema, which refers to the objects users can create and how they can create them.
In the present world of real-time digital communications, e-Directory plays an important role in an organization’s network.